As with about half my projects, this one failed. What I saw in my head and what came out are completely different. But I did mention it in a previous entry, so I owe it to you to report on it.
What was supposed to look like a crisp botanical transfer print, destined for my living room wall, came out a bit naff. It’s not about the transfer medium, though, that worked well, but I need to rethink the whole thing.
So here is the process.
You’ll need Dala Transfer Gel, a paintbrush and a printout of your image, bearing in mind the finished product will be a mirror image. I can’t remember where I got this image, so I can’t credit the source, but if someone knows, please let me know and I’d be happy to.
Paint the glaze onto the picture in two layers, and paint the second layer perpendicular to the first. Give it enough time to dry thoroughly between layers.
Soak the print for 20 minutes in cold water, slide onto your object (a platter, in this case) and position. Let it dry somewhat, just until the print doesn’t move around too much, and then gently rub the paper with your fingers. It should come away in small crumbs. This takes forever, but just keep at it until there are no more crumbs rubbing off.
And there it is. Sigh. Theoretically you should now seal it with a colourless sealant or varnish, but I didn’t bother. I’m going to scratch off the print and serve Christmas snacks on the platters instead. I haven’t lost faith in the craft, I’ll find some other awesome thing to transfer to something else. Maybe a colourful print on a painted block of wood for a kid’s room.